5 Different Opportunities You Can Take Advantage of with an ESL Certification
TEFL, TESL, TESOL – These words have been floating around for a while now. You know people with an ESL certification and have seen them travelling around, working online, and earning in USD. But what exactly is an ESL Certification and what can you do with it? Read on to learn what an ESL certification is and what opportunities will open up to you once having received one.
What is TEFL, TESOL, TESL etc?
Within the industry, a number of course options present themselves. ESL stands for English as a Second Language. Below you’ll find some of the most common courses within the ESL field. ESL courses enable you to teach English as a foreign language to non-native students either online or around the globe in various locations. It is important that you seek out an accredited course that is internationally recognised to ensure that you are getting a valid certification and have the ability to use it world-wide.
TEFL – Teaching English as a Foreign language. A TEFL is a great option if you’re wanting to go abroad and teach english to speakers who are situated in countries where English is not considered to be the native language.
TESL – Teaching English as a Second Language. This certification is better suited to people who are looking at teaching English as a second language to foreign students who are based in a native or primarily english country. TESL is a lovely option for those looking to further their career opportunities within their own country and possibly even within their own working environment by assisting foreign employees to better understand the tasks allocated to them.
TESOL – Put simply, TESOL is a combination of both TEFL and TESL. This certification allows you to teach an array of ages, beginning with toddlers and spanning right through to adults. TESOL is a wonderful certification to have under your belt because it allows you to teach english as both a second language and a foreign language, almost giving you a 2-in1 certification and offering greater flexibility within the industry.
CELTA – Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults. To apply for this certification you will need some form of a formal English qualification. It is extremely costly and these courses can either be taken full-time or be completed part-time.
DELTA – Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. Similar to a CELTA course, a DELTA requires its participants to have first obtained a formal english qualification. It is useful for english teachers who wish to further advance their own qualification.
What opportunities does an ESL certification provide?
- Teach English in the Classroom Abroad: With your certification, you will be able to apply for English teaching positions at various schools and language centers around the world! The countries you’re qualified to teach in will vary according to your degree status, however, even without a degree there are MANY countries who will hire you to teach their ESL students and pay you good money for it. If you’re looking to fund long-term stay in a specific country, this is an excellent option for you.
- Teach English Online, from the Comfort of Your Own Home: If you’re looking for a work from home opportunity, this is it. With an ESL certification, you can apply to teach English to students online with various schools and companies.
- Teach English Online, while Travelling Abroad: The beauty of working online means that you can work from anywhere. That means that you can earn money while travelling the world to fund your travels! This is a very popular option and part of the #DigitalNomad movement.
- Teach English to Business People: If you’re a business professional, you may be interested in teaching English to business people in different fields. You would teach them English in relation to their field of business to make sure that they can have the necessary discussions to make a sale or provide their service. This is often done freelance.
- Train Foreign Nationals within your Place of Business: Let’s say that you’re an accountant or engineer and have many foreign nationals visiting or working at your place of employment. An ESL certification allows you the opportunity to advance your career by providing language training to these foreign nationals to allow them to fit in better.
These opportunities are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to opportunities in the ESL market. We call an ESL certification “a ticket to the world” since it opens you up for work opportunities globally and in so many spheres.
If you want to become TESOL certified, check out our courses. We would love to train and guide you throughout your journey.